Thursday, July 07, 2005

My other blog is a Kia

Welcome to Something Itches. No, the title has nothing to do with the nasty rash all over my body. I have that pretty much under control with this new wonder drug from China made from the larva of, well, never mind. It would just gross you out. Something Itches refers to an ineffable quest for knowledge, a restlessness, a yearning – an itch that you scratch again and again because you want to know what that feels like. The kind of itch that you seek out for what it can teach you.

Oh, that’s a load of crap, too. The truth is, I queried Blogger with about a hundred perfectly good blog titles, but they were all taken. Finally, I typed in Something Itches, you know, as a joke. Damn if I didn’t get past the rejection screen. A pop-up box asked me to confirm my choice. I hit ‘Yes’ and the deal was done.

I already have a perfectly good blog called Peeling Wallpaper over on the Salon network of blogs. I’ve been blogging there for about a year and a half. So why start a new blog? Well, because this is America and I can. Because I hate Hummers and I simply can’t state that on enough web sites. Because blogger is free and as a cheap bastard I can’t pass up anything free. Because I can’t stop writing. (Oh, God, please help me to stop!)

Mostly, though, I started this blog because Peeling Wallpaper is the place that I publish my stories and poems. I set it up that way from the beginning. It’s a portfolio for my writing. You won’t find very much over there about me. It’s all fiction and crafty nonsense. But I can’t relax at Peeling Wallpaper. It’s a humor blog, but I take it very seriously. I need a place where I can just write what’s on my mind. Let it all out and not worry about every word being perfect. So now there is Something Itches.

This blog is my front porch. I plan on coming here often to sit on the sofa, sip on some moonshine and whittle. You can join me if you like. Don’t mind the rash.

15 comments:

Birdie said...

Hola! Can the itch-free post comments? Have fun with your new blog, I will keep the calamine lotion near...

Mike said...

You whittle?

mark hoback said...

Heh, heh. I liked what you said about that other blog. You know, every word having to be perfect... Heh, heh.

Anonymous said...

I like.

And I found coincidentally.

Mike said...

You are one sick puppy.

Anonymous said...

I'll bring the lemonade, and some cookies :-)

Anonymous said...

So, where's the fun, already? And, just between us, I've seen Birdie scratching furiously when she thinks no one's lookin'.

I envy your ability to write enough to contemplate a second outlet. I kinda get stage fright and recoil from posting on my Salon blog. Why, I dunno, since it ain't high art. I wonder what would happen if I just did a stream-of-conscious blog. Maybe I've got too many personal stakeholders looking at Perils.

I'm bookmarkin' this, unless you object.

Unknown said...

Oh this is wonderful. I think it will be inspiring.

Anonymous said...

Dammit, now I want another blog. Heh.

Anonymous said...

Now I'll spend even more time on the computer - sheesh.

Anonymous said...

OK, so clearly this is going to be the place where all the cool people hang out to party down and gossip. Yeah!

Jack said...

Thanks, everyone. I look forward to the fun chats we'll have here.

Bonnie said...

Darn, I'm late to the party again! Why am I always the last to comment? I like your new itchy blog. I'll be on the padded porch swing, sipping root beer with Karen. And I hate hummers and all they represent too!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mike said...

Another "I hate hummers" comment for you:

"Real soldiers die in their humvees so that you can play soldier in yours.
10 mpg, 2 soldiers per day."
-thanks to the Freeway Blogger for this one.