Sunday, July 10, 2005

A midlife wakeup call

In recent years I have thought about buying a motorcycle. It’s probably some kind of midlife crisis thing. I’ve never ridden a motorcycle in my life. Yet, nowadays when that Harley Davidson commercial comes on TV where the guy takes his friends to his garage and describes in drooling detail the Harley of his dreams (the garage is actually empty), I start to think: yeah maybe it’s time for me to get a Harley, too. But there are midlife crisis lists just like with everything else, and a motorcycle is near the bottom of mine.

Today I pulled up to a stop sign as I was leaving the Safeway parking lot. I was distracted, fidgeting with the radio. I stopped completely, but a little bit beyond the stop sign. Perhaps a quarter car length beyond. I looked left, saw nothing, and lifted my foot from the brake pedal. Then I heard the unmistakable sound of a Harley. Heard it, but didn’t see it. I looked left again. The motorcycle was hidden behind the width of a utility pole. It was completely lost to my blind spot. It reappeared just as I hit the brakes again. I looked at the driver as he approached. He swerved a little, anticipating that I would pull out and hit him. He got a little closer. There was another surprise: a passenger. A little boy about my son’s age sitting behind the driver, clinging to his waist. Like the utility pole, the driver (his dad?) blocked him from my view until…there he was. They rumbled by. Thankfully, nobody was hurt. My midlife crisis list is in need of a revision, though.

10 comments:

Mike said...

Please don't get a Harley. I like you alive!

Anonymous said...

I've never had the desire for a Harley, although one of my best friends has one and she looks great in the leather stuff! I'm more of a Vespa girl, I think....

Mike said...

Just get a Porsche like the rest of the midlifers.

I had my midlife crisis early, so at least I'm done with it, and all I got was a Saab!

Anonymous said...

Well, I hope I'm not at my mid-life yet, but I'd like to say as someone having a crisis of some sort regarding her identity that large, noisy machines only get you so far in feeling aligned with the universe again. That's what beer is *really* for, Jack.

Anonymous said...

Some inner piece of me is definitely a Harley chick. I got to ride on one once thanks to a friend of my husband's who knew I lusted for the experience. Fearing I would chicken out and be screaming to stop before the end of our driveway, I was stunned to discover that I wanted to go further. I wanted to go *faster*. And damned if I didn't really want to be the one driving that thing! But put either beloved son on a motorcycle of any kind and you'd see me pitching a hysterical maternal fit about completely unnecessary premature death! Go figure. Glad the close call was averted, Jack. Maybe your midlife crisis just needs a trip to a tropical topless beach someplace :)

Anonymous said...

You can have a Harley just as soon as you triple your life insurance policy...then you can ride to your heart's content!

Perfect Virgo said...

This was how I scratched my mid-life itch last month. Sorry to gate-crash with a link but couldn't resist!

Jack said...

Mike, don't worry, it will never happen.

Bev, yeah, I can see you on a Vespa. Very practical in Portland, I'm sure :-)

Meg & Carroll, I'd like to combine your suggestions: beer on a nude beach. I don't know about a cure for a midlife crisis, but it sure would be nice for a weekend.

Jon: You got a rock? Well, at least you didn't set your sights too high. Can't go wrong with a rock.

Perfect Virgo: Nice bike! Enjoy. Just stay out of my blind spot.

Cyn: My insurance is high enough! I don't want you getting any ideas. Oh, by the way, that book you ordered, "How to disable a car's brakes and make it look like an accident," arrived from Amazon today...

Anonymous said...

jack, what you need is a nother blog.. matt

Birdie said...

I say go for it! Motorcycles are way cool. Plus, chicks dig 'em. Just don't let stray kids grab your waist and hitch a ride! I would love a motorcycle. One day I shall have one.