Thursday, October 06, 2005

Real Men Wear Kilts

My son, Conor, who is ten and a fourth generation American, declared this evening over dinner that he wanted a Scottish kilt. His mother thinks he would look great in a kilt and played right along. “What about a sporran?” she asked. “Sure,” he said, “I want a sporran, too.” A sporran is the little pouch that goes on the kilt, you know, to carry your stuff, because it’s not like a Scottish kilt has pockets. This had to be explained to me. I had never heard of a sporran before. Apparently, they come in all different styles and materials. A lot of sporrans are made from real animal fur. None of us liked that idea. Conor explained that he just wanted something basic; nothing too fancy. “Any old sporran will do.”

Any old sporran will do? I nearly choked on my dinner with laughter. I wondered if an American boy had ever uttered those words before today.

5 comments:

Mike said...

Sounds like a man purse to me.

Anonymous said...

Don't need no stinkin' sporran. Utilikilts here in Seattle.

Anonymous said...

As a full-time utilikilt wearer/advocate (good lord my life has been reduced to pushing men's kilts), I second Phil's nomination. Conor would LOVE a utilikilt. Lots 'o pockets for frogs and snakes and rubick's cubes and no need for any man purse.

Anonymous said...

Sorry for the long post, but I just had to share this. It cracked me up.

The sporran has come a long way from a doeskin bag containing ammunition or daily rations. Nowadays they are made from PVC leather, faux fur and even buttons and carry everything from car keys to condoms.

Function was a feature over fashion in medieval life. As such, sporrans were worn on a tight belt around the waist. Only when the sporran became largely ornamental did it descend to its present position - and for obvious reasons.

(Obvious reasons. Hee hee.)

The goat-hair variety, sporran molach (hairy sporran), was introduced by the military in the 18th century, and was likened to the "costume fever" of the age.

(Hairy sporran. Hah!)

A sporran featured at the National Museum in Edinburgh has a clasp of brass and steel with four concealed pistols. The contraption was meant to be discharged in a reckless attempt to open the locked purse, thus injuring the intruder.

(I dare an of you men to wear such a thing. What was the man thinking?!)

Anonymous said...

wearing a sporran with a kilt is a normal thing. I have been wearing a kilt for seventeen years and I've worn a sporran much of the time;however, with new kilts coming out with pockets, the need for a sporran is not necessary as in the past.

Concerning Conor and his kilt desires, I say bravo for him. Dear Conor get yourself a kilt and wear it as often as you like. do not wait til sound Scottish activity pops up. Just wear it and enjoy the sheer pleasure of freedom that comes with putting on a kilted garment. If you wish to wear a sporran with it, fine. If not, thats fine as well.

John