Tuesday, October 04, 2005

If you try sometimes...

...you just might find, you'll get what you need.



Apparently, what I needed was a better seat!

Then again, a better seat would have meant this view:


Washington Post

Still, it was a great show, even from up in the nose-bleed section. The Stones were one of the few bands from my youth that I hadn't seen live in concert. Not counting the bands in which prominent members died before I could see them. How inconsiderate! (And you know who you are Mr. Dwayne Allman, Mr. Jerry Garcia, Mr. Lowell George.)

At least now I can say that I have seen the Stones. Well, people who looked like the Stones, prancing around on stage, only much, much smaller and much, much more wrinkled.

Been there.
Done that.
Couldn't afford the t-shirt.

~ ~ ~

So many great songs and a "mini-stage" that undocked from the main stage and rolled across the arena floor carrying the entire band as they played. What will they think of next!

The set list:

1. START ME UP
2. YOU GOT ME ROCKING
3. SHE'S SO COLD
4. TUMBLING DICE
5. ROUGH JUSTICE
6. BACK OF MY HAND
7. BEAST OF BURDEN
8. BITCH
9. MR. PITIFUL (Otis Redding)
10. THE WORST
11. INFAMY
12. MISS YOU
13. OH NO, NOT YOU AGAIN
14. SHATTERED
15. HONKY TONK WOMEN
16. SYMPATHY FOR THE DEVIL
17. IT'S ONLY ROCK N ROLL
18. BROWN SUGAR
19. SATISFACTION
20. YOU CAN’T ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU WANT
21. JUMPING JACK FLASH

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great show - I've only got 4 more weeks until I see Sir McCartney, and as you may recall, I've got seats up close and personal. I hope I don't pee my pants.....Bev

Anonymous said...

That's awesome. Jenny Peters (Cynde's replacement - not that Cynde could ever be 'replaced') was there, she said it was a great show. And mentioned that she doesn't think she has EVER had as much energy as Mick Jagger, though she does an excellent impression.

U2 is a fave bad from my youth and I had tickets, but alas, I must go to Philly for a conference. I saw them once before at RFK - Bono seemed so small. But that was back in that weird lemon POP! phase of which I wasn't particularly fond - but still, how do you pass up U2?

Mike said...

Mick & Keith up close and personal, shudder! I don't think I can deal. Reanimated corpses may be more than my delicate constitution can handle. On the other hand I've seen Little Feat (the real one) and the Dead (numerous times) so I think I qualify as a boomer, although I've never seen the Stones, Pink Floyd (damn), or the Who. We see the bands we have not the ones we want.

Jack said...

Alas, I'm so old that U2 doesn't qualify as a band from my youth. Still, I wouldn't mind seeing them. The band that I thought would slip away without me seeing them (because they almost never toured) was Steely Dan. Then they reunited about 5 or 6 years ago and I snatched a same day ticket at Merriweather Post Pavilion in Maryland.

Anonymous said...

Jack, Your memory is flagging - you snagged that same day Steely Dan ticket when Mike and I were still in Reston - and we left in 1996.... or was it 1995?

Jack said...

Hey, I was only off by 4 or 5 years. These days, that's pretty good for me!

Mike said...

That's the second thing that goes with old age, the memory.

Mike said...

I think the thing that truly disturbs me about this post is the $163 on the ticket. Why back in the day when we went to see Little Feat it cost $7.50!