Tuesday, December 28, 2010

The Transcendent Band

I'm waiting. Back in the day we had a lot of transcendent bands, The Beatles The Stones, The Who, Pink Floyd, Zeppelin, Cream, The Band, Jimi, The Grateful Dead, CSNY. Many others could be added to that list. In later years I would add Little Feat, Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers, Talking Heads, Springsteen, Los Lobos, The Clash, Steely Dan, The Police, U2, Dave Matthews Band. Lately there just hasn't been a band that has blown me away. Maybe it's because I'm older and the bands that are really making a major impact are doing so to those much younger than me. Maybe there are just no bands making that kind of impact any more. Has Rock & Roll run it's course and is now so mainstream that no band has such a dramatic impact? I really hope not. I really like Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, The Drive By Truckers, and the Subdudes but none have had that kind of influence. Green Day, who I also like, have made an impact and now there is a Broadway Musical based on their "American Idiot" album. I fear that there are many transcendent bands out there that I am just missing because I am old and that their music just doesn't resonate with me. I'm being left behind by the very thing that I felt defined part of me. I used to have WHFS (102.3 in Bethesda, MD) with Weasel, Cerphe, Josh, Mark, and Damian to guide me. Now radio is a wasteland and only Pandora or internet radio leads me to new acts. I am constantly drawn back to those bands of yesteryear that I can no longer see perform except in a completely remade form. Getting old sucks.

2 comments:

Mike said...

Thank the powers that be for WXPN!

Anonymous said...

WHFS 102.3 lost license. Wesel is on DC101. Cerphe was kiked out over payolla issues. Psychadellli is now Flanagans Harp n' Fiddle. Captain Beefheart is dead. Frank Zappa is dead. Jerry Garcia is dead. Its the same dance, just a different groove. Know what I'm say'n?