Saturday, August 26, 2006

Coming Soon...

I have started pulling together a book of poems from Peeling Wallpaper. My plan is to organize the best ones into a chapbook. I am motivated to do this for two reasons. One I just love the word chapbook. It is so pretentious and snooty. “Yes, my chapbook ‘The Curves of a Rectangle’ will be published next month by The Bloated Nymph Press.” Can’t you just see it? It is so me. My second motivation for publishing a chapbook is that it will be out in time for the upcoming holiday season. I hate holiday gift shopping. This way I can sit down with a stack of my chapbooks, inscribe each one, wrap them up in shiny holiday paper and ship them off to everyone I know in place of the Spencer Gift quality crap I usually send. It will be nice to know that a chapbook I wrote and published is now shoring up the short legs of wobbly tables all over the world. Rest assured, my chapbook will be published on only the finest parchment. Should you find yourself in your library with a little piece of something stuck between your teeth and no toothpick in sight, look no farther than the cover of my chapbook. Maybe I’ll even make my chapbook mint flavored.

12 comments:

Mike said...

I'm currently using Andrei Codrescu's "Messi@h" to balance my table. I'll need to find another use for the chapbook. Ouzo ate the brush that goes with the dustpan so maybe that could work. One other thing, is it absorbant?

By the way I prefer cinnamon.

Anonymous said...

Yay!!! I would like a copy, signed, please! Can I write one of the blurbs for the back?!

Jack said...

I would love that, Birdie, but I don't think I have enough money for a back cover. Especially with the added cost of the cinnamon flavored front cover.

Carroll said...

Chap Stick. Chapbook. meh. Oral care products are a dime-a-dozen these days, Jack. But maybe if you get yourself one of these to wear while you're being creative:

http://tinyurl.com/pp9mq

Mike said...

Hey anybody got any chapbooks handy? My basement just flooded.

Anonymous said...

Oooh, I wanna read.

Anonymous said...

I need a stack of those, it rains a lot in England :-)

Anonymous said...

Can't wait, hope mine is signed (not all night long) I LOVE your poems ;-) You got a pen name or going for gold?

Sandy Underpants said...

may one use several chapbooks in the place of clothing or sliced cheese at a fancy dinner party?

Anonymous said...

how much will it weigh? the quality of literature is measured in pounds and ounces you know.

Anonymous said...

is this your other blog?

Carroll said...

"Coming soon..."

Hmmm...must have been talking like Birdie there, Jack. "Soon", as in sometime this decade???