Thursday, December 07, 2006

The power of 5

Two years ago I posted a story about receiving a free razor in the mail from Schick. It was the Quattro. Four blades. I remember thinking, "How many more blades do we need on a razor." I mean, you put enough blades on a razor cartridge and you'll start splitting atoms! Well, today, I opened my mailbox and there was a brand new trial razor waiting for me. I knew right away. It had to be. Five blades. And I was right. It was the Gillette Fusion. Five shaving blades. But wait...there was more. A bonus blade on the back side for trimming sideburns and under the nose. Gillette skipped right over the Cinque and went straight to the Sei!

I simply can't believe this. I am afraid to try this razor. It is quite possible that I would lather up and, with one swipe of the razor, cut my head clean off - a scene right out of Monty Python. This particular razor doesn't take batteries. That would be the Gillette Fusion Power - 5 blades and vibration. There is nothing more absurd in my mind than a vibrating razor. I can only hope the man responsible for the battery-powered razor is being kept safely out of a laboratory environment. He should never invent again!

Now, having had my rant, I will say that the power of advertising can be persuasive. Maybe if instead of my mailman delivering my free razor...


...the Gillette Fusion Girls had dropped by and enticed me to give it a try, my response might have been a little different. I am a team player, after all.

On the cover of the slick, brightly-colored insert that came with my free Gillette Fusion razor were just these words: "It's Time." My question to Gillette is: Time for what?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Time to trim your nosehairs, that's what time it is!

Mike said...

I saw a commercial for a toothbrush with an on-board computer! What's up with that. I'd probably just end up taking my toothbrush into the shop because it wouldn't start because the on-board computer needed to be replaced. The toothbrush did not have a support group like the Fusion Girls.

Anonymous said...

I agree with you Jack. I am a little intimidated by this razor. I have removed the packaging and placed it on a shelf in the bathroom. Some day I will get up the nerve to use it.

Jack said...

Yeah, but the Fusion Girls promise a really great shave!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, well, maybe I'll try it if they assist :)