Tuesday, December 06, 2005

1965

Speaking of television, I was thinking about the deteriorating quality of TV programming in relation to my last post. What bugs me the most about television programming today is the lack of originality. I flashed back to my youth, to the 1960s in particular, and the show “My Mother the Car.” Don’t know that show? Well, not surprising. It only lasted a single season. Basically, the show was about a man and his car. Not that unusual, you say? Consider that the man’s car was possessed by his dead mother. The car talked to him in his mother’s voice, using the car’s radio. Now that’s original! Really, really bad, but original! I did a quick internet search on the program and discovered that “My Mother the Car” was one of several “original programs” (i.e. strange) that were released in the year 1965 to compete with the avant-garde shows “Bewitched” and “The Man from Uncle,” both of which debuted a year earlier. The other unusual shows getting their start in the 1965 season included: “I Dream of Jeannie,” “Lost in Space,” “Get Smart,” “Green Acres,” and “Wild Wild West.” Just try and top that line-up.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

While I certainly cannot top that line-up, I can remind you that you failed to include the most important show - at least to my mind - that premiered in 1965, and alas, was cancelled after only one year - Gidget, starring Sally Field - now that was entertainment! Bev

Mike said...

"My Mother The Car" - Jerry Van Dyke. What a boon to his career. He should have knocked off his brother so he could've gotten in with Mary Tyler Moore. But "The Jerry Van Dyke Show" just doesn't have that certain je ne sais ce qui. But you just can't beat "Lost in Space". Danger, danger!

Mike said...

And what about The Flying Nun. Now that was some quality TV!

Mike said...

I'm anxiously waiting for "My Mother The Car - The Movie" starring Jim Carrey, Will Ferrell, or one of the Wilson brothers.

Jack said...

Yes, but who will be the voice of mother?

Mike said...

Depends on how annoying you want it to be. For maximum annoyance either Joan Rivers, Fran Dresher, or Rosanne. For the "yeah baby" factor Nicole Kidman, or, even though they're a bit young, Rosario Dawson or Jessica Alba.

Anonymous said...

Well, Jack, you and I both know who the voice of the mother will be, and "we don't need a lawyer" to sign her on, either. Bev

Anonymous said...

Well, Jack, you and I both know who the voice of the mother will be, and "we don't need a lawyer" to sign her on, either. Bev

Mike said...

On second thought Charlize Theron should be the voice. Although we wouldn't get to see her and that would be a bummer.